“As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest.”
― Nelson Mandela
The ARCHES Project is the housing and homeless division of the Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency. Our goal is to promote housing and self-sufficiency by navigating clients from homelessness to stable housing and then to self-sufficiency. Our specific focus is on the provision of referrals, housing placements, and basic need services to persons experiencing homelessness in Marion and Polk counties. The ARCHES Project is located at 615 Commercial Street, NE, Salem, OR 97301. Our facility lies just to the north of Marion Square Park and east of the Wallace Marine walking bridge. Hours of general operation are 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
Drop-in Day Center: 8:15am – 3:00pm, Monday – Friday
- The Drop-In Day Center is designed for anyone experiencing homelessness. It’s a safe space where guests can come in out of the weather to access services and to relax in a comfortable environment. Lunch is served daily at 11:00am. Referral services and navigation centered case management is available to all Day Center clients.
- ARCHES provides a variety of supportive services for those experiencing homelessness. These include: hygiene kits, pet food, telephone access, birth certificates, community mailboxes, and referrals to community resources. SOAR services are also available to eligible participants who need assistance in applying for the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) disability programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
Warming Center Network:
- ARCHES convenes the Salem Warming Center Network. Warming activations occur between November 1 – March 31 when the nighttime low reaches 32 degrees or below. To learn about warming activations call the Activation Hotline at 503-559-7147, or visit salemwarming.weebly.com.
Housing Assessments: 8:30am – 3:00pm, Monday – Thursday
- Housing assessments are the entry point to all ARCHES housing programs. They are also connected to other housing opportunities in Marion/Polk counties, including the City of Salem’s HRAP Program, and housing placements with our other partners. Assessments are conducted by trained and experienced assessors. They generally require 20 minutes per household and are available on a walk-in basis. Reasonable accommodations for disabilities and languages are made upon request.
- ARCHES runs several housing assistance programs, which vary by client needs. Each program’s goal is to provide housing stability through rental assistance and case management geared towards the development of self-sufficiency. Eligibility and housing placements are determined using the ARCHES housing assessment process.
Tenant Education Program:
- ARCHES offers a tenant education workshop for those experiencing homelessness or housing instability. Each workshop consists of five sessions, teaching participants how to overcome common housing barriers such as poor rental histories, low credit scores, or criminal background. The Rent Program develops skills that allow graduates to successfully apply for housing, and maintain positive relationships with neighbors and landlords.
Marion and Polk County Resource Services:
- ARCHES offers emergency housing and utility assistance for eligible households who reside in Polk County, as well as in rural Marion County (outside the city limits of Salem/Keizer). To access our Polk Services, please call: 503-623-9664 or visit us at the Polk County Resource Center (182 SW Academy St. Suite 220 Dallas, OR 97338). Our Marion County Resource Services are available at the main ARCHES facility located on Commercial Street in Salem.
Community Partners located at ARCHES:
- Marion County Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion
- Oregon Health Authority – Housing Opportunities in Partnership
- Willamette Work Force Partnerships – Employment Navigation
- Department of Human Services – Fresh Start Program
- Marion County Veteran Service Officer Program
- 780 SE Commercial St. Salem OR 97301
Monday – Friday 9am -4:00pm
Walk-in’s Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
9-11am – 1-4pm
Closed 12-1 daily and the last day of each month.
Visit our Facebook for regular program updates
ARCHES also commonly visits partner agencies as a part of our outreach efforts. You can find us at the DeMuniz Resource Center, DHS – Santiam office, Polk County Resource Center, and by appointment.
Please contact us if you are interested in any ARCHES service. We are a Fair Housing Opportunity provider. We do not discriminate against any individual based on: ethnicity, race, nation of origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability, economic status, education level, social class, or linguistic preference