Energy Services

Helping households with utility costs in Marion and Polk counties.

Energy Services offers a variety of programs to eligible households in need of financial assistance to pay their energy bills.

Need help with rent because of COVID-19?

Need help with rent because of COVID-19?

The Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency is here to help during COVID-19. If you need assistance with rent and meet certain income levels for your household size—based on your current income, not your pre-COVID income—visit our COVID Rent Relief information page, or continue below for Energy Services assistance.

Energy Assistance Stability Coronavirus Relief (EASCR)

State leaders directed $15 million in utility assistance to Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) to be delivered through Community Action Agencies to qualifying low income Oregonians. The intended use of these funds is to assist households impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID19).

Energy Services will offer a limited number of appointments for either in office or phone interviews. In an effort to reach additional eligible residents impacted by COVID19, Energy is offering a request for energy assistance to be completed, sign and returned to Energy with necessary documentation instead of scheduling an appointment.

Energy Assistance Stability Coronavirus Relief (EDASCR) income guidelines have been raised to 80% for impacted households. Express enrollment has been added for households that include one person who is enrolled in one of the following programs: SNAP/food stamps, TANF or tribal TANF, WIC, Medicaid/OHP, SSI, 2019 -2020 LIHEAP/OEA energy assistance, or US DOE weatherization assistance. Documentation verifying enrollment will be required.

Applications to apply for EASCR (English) (Spanish)

Scheduling Process

Beginning July 29, 2019 Energy services will schedule appointments for existing assistance as funding is available. Our phone line (503-588-9016) is extremely busy, calls will be answered in the order received. The queue holds 13 calls; all additional callers will receive a busy signal. If callers do not hear our greeting please hang up and call again.

Power to the People

Community Action’s Energy Services assists eligible low-income residents of Marion and Polk Counties with their home energy and heating bills. This vital financial assistance helps households maintain the utilities that keep their homes safe and comfortable.

For clients seeking energy assistance please note a past due notice or disconnect is not required to schedule an appointment and clients are encouraged to call prior to receiving any notices. All appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis as funding is available.

We are now offering a request for assistance form (see sidebar, right) that can be completed and submitted with required documentation, in place of scheduling an appointment. The current request form is valid through September 2020 and will be updated for the 2021 program year.

Programs We Offer

  • Energy Assistance Stability Coronavirus Relief (EDASCR): Community Action is offering financial assistance to households whose income is 80% or below area median income during the COVID pandemic. This assistance offers express enrollment to households that have received 2019 or 2020 LIHEAP or OEA, or currently receive TANF, SNAP, OHP, WIC, or SSI. Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. See our “Get Started” section to learn how to request this assistance.
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEAP): LIHEAP funding provides financial assistance for multiple heat types including electric, natural gas, propane, wood, and oil. Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEAP) is available to Portland General Electric (PGE) and Pacific Power (PAC) customers. See our “Get Started” section to learn how to request this assistance.
  • Northwest Natural (NWN) Assistance: At Energy Services, NWN customers can access financial services for gas bills. NWN customers are encouraged to call or come into the office, or complete a request for assistance form. See our “Get Started” section to learn how to access this resource.
  • Rate Relief Program: Energy Services is partnering with the City of Salem to offer water bill assistance to current wastewater customers that meet the following qualifications: the account holder lives in the home, an elderly (60+) or disabled person lives in the home, and the total combined gross household income does not exceed 60% of state median income based on family size. Housing recipients and residents of multi-unit homes are not eligible for the rate relief assistance. Please call 971-304-2100 and leave a message including your name and contact number for an Energy Services team member to contact you about this service.

Energy Assistance staff interview about 60 clients a day! Although our time with clients is limited, these services greatly impact their lives.